Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of Fourth Grade

First day of school today for Camryn! We've been waiting on Aden's books to get here, but I finally decided that we've waited long enough.
Camryn got started, and I did a few work pages with Aden and had reading circle time. It worked out nicely.

By far, Camryn's art class is the most intriguing of the curriculum. She learned about straight and curved lines. She had a drawing assignment right off the bat, and really enjoyed it. It only took her two hours to complete all of her work for the day... but I re-assured her that things will prove more difficult as the year goes on. :) She's quite happy with the amount of work so far. lol, just wait!!

So... fourth grade, am I smarter than a fourth grader?? Why didn't I know that cucumber is a fruit? And asparagus is part of the lily family? Wow, I felt really dumb a few times today, but that's alright. Now I know~! :) Keeps me young, and I love being able to give one-on-one attention to the kids. I know exactly what they need, where they fall short, where they excel, and how to help them!
Camryn is creative, smart, loving, loyal, and artistic. She did great today, so proud of her!!

I do have a college education, but what qualifies me to teach my kids is my love for them... not how much school I have under my belt. If anything, my formal education hinders me from seizing teachable moments. I tend to make things structured rather than giving my kids the freedom to learn from actual LIFE... what a concept!

Anyways, off my soapbox now. :)
I am so excited today, and I know that will fade as the drudgery of monotonous daily schedules sets in. :)
The only way I will make it through is with God's help and a heavenly focus.

One last note - Josiah was an angel today! I decided last night to go ahead and start him on formula. There are many reasons (humidity, teeth, time, etc). Today was his first full day of bottle feedings and regular food, and he was a champ! I had tried one time about a month ago to give him a bottle (this was after being bitten :)), and he didn't want anything to do with it. I had little hope that he would take to the bottle today, but I guess it was just God's timing. It worked out so perfectly and he's had no adverse reactions (as of yet).
Great day, all in all, and looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment